- Statistics and Error Analysis ss2012
- Lecturer: Prof. Dr. R. Schlitzer
- Tel: 0471-4831-1559
- Time: Friday 08:00 - 10:00 a.m.
- Location: S-3032 (PEP lecture room)
- Credits: 2 credit points
- Final exam: written
This course teaches basic concepts of mathematical statistics and error calculation, as needed for a rigorous and sound evaluation of environmental data. The following topics are covered in the course:
· Random variables and probability
· Special distribution and density functions
· Expectation values
· Covariance and correlation
· Error propagation
· Statistical tests
P. R. Bevington, Data Reduction and Error Analysis for the Physical Sciences, McGraw-Hill, 1969.
L. Sachs, Applied Statistics: A Handbook of Techniques, Springer, 1982
H. von Storch and F. W. Zwiers, Statistical Analysis in Climate Research, Cambridge University Press, 1999.